Beam Suntory – Socio Economic Impact in India
Beam Suntory was created in 2014 by bringing together the world leader in bourbon and the pioneer in Japanese whisky. The company is rooted in a deep heritage, passion
for quality, innovative spirit and vision of ‘Growing for Good’. Beam Suntory’s business, culture is focused on having a positive impact on the environment across the value chain,
from seed to sip. Its commitments to the environment, consumers, and society are aligned to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Proof Positive strategy is Beam Suntory’s blueprint to a more sustainable and equitable future. It is a critical roadmap towards 2030, 2040, and beyond for how Beam Suntory will positively impact the environment, our consumers and our communities.
In India, the business has been working passionately on promoting the Proof Positive agenda and below are some notable accomplishments in this regard:
- As of April 2021, through investments in efficient technology and cleaner fuels, Beam Suntory has globally reduced water use per unit of production by 22 percent and reduced greenhouse gases emitted by direct operations by 19 percent
- In order to protect the water supply, Beam Suntory initiated roof top rain harvesting in Behror and constructed two percolation dams in Rajasthan along with two RWH for schools
- Also constructed 7 ultrafiltration systems for schools in the city of Kolkata benefitting over 5,000 students and water unit supplying clean drinking water to over 400 families in Hyderabad
- Constructed water conservation structures at four locations in West India, increasing ground level by 6 times.
- Initiated two tree plantation drives of over 12,000 trees in Mumbai and Goa
- We announced the permanent removal of mono-cartons from our portfolio of brands in India, starting with Teacher’s and Oaksmith. This is part of our global target to use 100% recyclable packaging and 40% recycled materials by weight across our packaging portfolio by 2030 and expand to 60% recycled materials by 2040
- As part of our ‘Together for Good’ initiative, all regions in India concluded employee volunteering activities and collectively completed over 700 volunteering hours in the past year
- We are also working in Behror for a community policing initiative which will involve training of locals as well as police administration to work collaboratively for the safety of the community, especially women and children
- During COVID, we donated USD 150,000 to National Restaurant Association of India to support workers in the F&B community and provide relief to thousands of staff of member restaurants and their families
- USD 33000k approx. was donated to set up a Mobile Health Unit providing people the necessary support and counselling to battle COVID-19 and other ailments
- Our employees made voluntary contributions from their salary, which were matched by the company to donate a sum of INR 26.86 lakhs to the Rajasthan CM fund for COVID relief
- Beam Suntory and Suntory Holdings together made a donation of USD 600,000 to British Asian Trust, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), National Restaurant Association of India and Government-led relief efforts to mitigate the shortage of hospital equipment supporting COVID-19 relief in India