Energy Systems Catapult
Clean Air Street, Bengaluru, part of the Innovating for Clean Air Project
The Innovating for Clean Air (IfCA) project is a two-year joint initiative running until March 2021 led by Energy Systems Catapult, and its partners Connected Places Catapult and Satellite Applications Catapult.
The programme aims to support UK and Indian firms in developing innovations to improve air quality and tackle pollution at source in Bengaluru by addressing challenges related to charging infrastructure, grid management and the integration of renewable energy.
In that time, the initiative has generated positive outcomes that include:
- Partnerships established between UK and Indian organisations to collaborate on pilot projects and initiatives for mutual benefit
- Knowledge sharing through webinars, workshops and reports
- Tools to support a sustainable UK–India business relationship have been developed to ensure benefits of the project continue beyond the project lifetime
- Pedestrianisation of a street in Bengaluru (Church Street) to showcase clean air and electric vehicle innovations (from the UK and India)
Under the Clean Air Street project, Church Street in Bengaluru (one of the busiest streets in the Central Business District) has been closed to motor vehicles every weekend since November 7th, 2020 and will continue to be so until March 2021. This has opened the 750m stretch of road to organisations and initiatives enabling healthy and citizen-centric street environments which prioritise safe, green, and active forms of transportation.
Simultaneously, the street exhibits nine UK and Indian SMEs developing innovative clean air and electric vehicle solutions. These include e-rickshaws, e-scooters, and air quality sensors, with all exhibiting firms garnering interest in their products and raising awareness around issues pertaining to air quality.
Through these means, the project supports SDGs:
- 3 Good Health and Well Being
- 7 Affordable and Clean Energy
- 9 Industry and Innovation and Infrastructure
- 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
- 13 Climate Action
- 17 Partnerships
For more information on the Clean Air Street Project, visit https://es.catapult.org.uk/impact/projects/innovating-for-clean-air-india/clean-air-street/
For more information on the wider Innovating for Clean Air programme, visit https://es.catapult.org.uk/impact/projects/innovating-for-clean-air-india/